Related Claims for Other Animal Attacks
What's more, the same "strict liability" rules apply when it comes to other animal bites. People bitten by cats or other animals in California without provocation can sue the owner for damages. However, in addition to compensating the injured person, the pet owner may also be facing criminal charges if the person is killed or suffers severe bodily injuries (Penal Code 399 PC).
FAQs about Dog Bite Claims
Who is responsible for a dog bite in California?
The dog's owner or handler is responsible for injuries and damages suffered from a dog bite in California.
Can I sue the dog's owner?
Yes. Under California's dog bite statute, you are entitled to file a lawsuit against the dog's owner or handler if you are bitten by a dog.
What can I claim compensation for?
Any individual who has been bitten by a dog in California is within their rights to pursue compensation for their injuries. They can claim damages for any of the following;
- Medical bills
- Future medical treatment
- Lost income
- Loss of consortium
- Loss of the use of a limb
- Pain & suffering
Also, family members of someone who was killed by a dog bite can file wrongful death claims.
How much compensation can I recover?
In 2016, California had the largest number of dog bite claims in the United States at 1,934. During this period, about $76 million was paid out as compensation to victims. However, the amount you can recover in claims depends on a number of factors. These include;
- How the dog bite occurred
- Where the dog bite happened
- The severity of your resulting injuries
- The magnitude of the property damage caused by the dog bite
- Whether the dog's owner or handler was negligent
- The strength of the evidence you use to link your injuries to the dog bite
If you've been bitten by a dog or attacked by an animal, retain an experienced California dog bite attorney immediately to protect your rights and help you pursue your rightful compensation.
How a Personal Injury Attorney Can Help
Dog bite victims in Fresno, California may be eligible for fair financial compensation for their injuries, damages, lost income, physical therapy, pain, and suffering. Our knowledgeable personal injury team at the Winter Law Group can help you;
- Gather detailed evidence and documentation required to build a strong case, such as medical records, police reports, witness statements, and more
- Determine your case value
- Establish fault and liability
- Manage all your communications while you focus more on your recovery
- Negotiate a fair settlement with the insurer
Also, if you need to file a lawsuit, we will offer you aggressive representation in your personal injury or premises liability lawsuit and attempt to help you recover fair financial compensation for your injuries.