Life’s financial curveballs can strike without warning and sideline you from meeting your financial needs. When facing financial adversity, declaring bankruptcy may be the best choice to remedy your situation and give you a fresh start. In California, Chapter 7 and Chapter 13 bankruptcy are among the options available to you. A one-on-one consultation with an experienced bankruptcy attorney can help you make informed decisions.
If you are going through financial adversity and considering filing bankruptcy, don’t go through it alone. Our team of experienced attorneys at the Winter Law Group is always available to discuss your situation and provide you with knowledgeable guidance. A consultation with our attorneys can put you on the path towards financial freedom.
The Winter Law Group proudly serves clients in Fresno, California, and the surrounding communities of Clovis, Visalia, Madera, Madera County, Merced, and Merced County.
What to Do to Prepare for Filing Bankruptcy
Struggling with debt that you are unable to pay can be overwhelming. You are likely receiving neverending calls and letters from debt collectors and creditors. Filing for bankruptcy may help stop this cycle and give you the chance to get on your feet. Once you decide that bankruptcy is an option you’d like to pursue, there are several things you can do to prepare to make the process easier for you and your attorney:
- Gather proof of your income and financial documents. These include copies of your tax returns, bank statements, and proof of income for the past six months.
- Obtain copies of your credit reports. This ensures that you do not forget a creditor accidentally.
- Make sure you have filed required tax returns.
- Pay off all your necessary bills.
- Stop all automatic payments.
- Document debt information honestly and thoroughly.
- Make a list of all your assets.
- Complete a credit counseling course.